Saturday, January 22, 2011

Literary Love

Ok, so...first blog post here.  I always feel like my favorite author is whichever author I've read last.  As far as fiction goes, I think Sherwood Anderson is my current favorite.  I was introduced to him last semester in my Modern American Literature class and I absolutely adored him.  He doesn't really have a website, but here is his Wikipedia page for some background info.

Chuck Palahniuk has been one of my favorite contemporary authors since high school; I've read all of his books, (excluding the most recent one) and though the quality of his writing seems to decrease over time, he wrote Fight Club so I will always love him for that.  His short story, "Guts" is a great introduction if you haven't read him before.

My favorite poet is, without a doubt, E.E. Cummings.  I'm sure most people have read him, but if you haven't, his poem "i carry your heart with me" is absolutely beautiful, and it also goes along with the whole "praise poems" theme.

I know we were supposed to avoid music for the most part, but in naming my blog, I got into a serious "Smiths" mood.  If you haven't heard of them here is a link to their music video for "There is a light that never goes out," a truly touching song.  My favorite lines... "And if a double decker bus crashes in to us, to die by your side, what a heavenly way to die.  And if a ten ton truck, kills the both of us, to die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine," they always get me...

Hopefully I'm able to introduce somebody in the class to something new with this post!  Enjoy guys, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

<3 always,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Good beginning here. I'm always grateful to the students who turned me onto Chuck!

    ReplyDelete