Monday, March 21, 2011

Poems

Here are two new poems, written for another class. I figured it couldn't hurt to send them off into the world. Maybe somebody will be kind enough to offer some feedback so I can improve them.

Edinburgh

Malt-scented Edinburgh is perched within me,
forever calling for me to return. "Why did you leave me?"
She cries from the moors.
"You belong here," she sings from the top of Arthur's Seat.
The clock made from purple heather and yellow and white roses
counts the minutes in the Edinburgh gardens until I am back again.
Greyfriars Bobby has abandoned his master,
and now waits for me to come home.







Migraine

Everything is lit up
bright white
radiating
into everything else.
I can't tell
where one thing ends
and another begins,
no matter how hard
I strain.
Two rooms over,
my cat jumps off the couch.
Twin Towers
crashing to the ground.
I scream
in agony.
The pain is too much.
Another paroxysm of nausea
sends saltine crackers,
Excedrine,
and sour, frothy, green bile
rocketing
across white bed sheets.



Hope you guys enjoy, or are at least mildly entertained for a few minutes.

<3 always,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Really like the Edinburgh one :D and oi woman get following me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love this Edinburgh, as I love the town. I think this poem needs only a little tweeking of the language. This is not a case where you have to pull out the thesaurus, though that's never a bad idea. Rather I want to see more words that further evoke loss, moors, and Scotland.

    As for the headache, I think you've got it covered, in all its hideousness. Maybe add some specifics to the (slightly) cliched "can't tell where one thing ends...

    ReplyDelete